Do you wish to learn how to register for MTN MoMo in South Africa? MoMo stands for mobile money. This is something that a lot of South Africans have been embracing in recent days. The country has long lagged behind others in the region when it comes to mobile money. MTN’s MoMo is one of the most popular services in this regard. It allows people to send and receive money on their cellphone numbers. In order to use the service, you first need to get registered. So, how do you do that?
Steps to register for MTN’s MoMo
The following is how to register for MTN’s MoMo;
- Dial *120*151# on your phone.
- Choose the option to Register and accept the Ts and Cs.
- Enter your SA ID number and click on Send.
- Choose your surname.
- Pick your first name from the provided list.
- Select your Gender and press on Send.
- Confirm that the address that appears on the screen is the one at which you are currently living.
- Choose your main source of funds. It can be Salary, Business income, Social grants or Other.
- Select your industry.
- Type in a 5 digit PIN.
- Confirm your 5 digit PIN.
- You now need to wait for MTN to call you to register your voice.
What can you do with MoMo?
That’s how to register for MTN MoMo. You can do it on your phone using USSD. You can also do it using the MoMo app which you can download from the app store. But what can you do with MoMo?
We have already noted that MoMo stands for mobile money. It’s a mobile money transfer servie that allows people to send and receive money into their phone wallets. You can withdraw money from any one of the thousands of MoMo agents that can be found around the country.
That’s the one thing that makes this service important. Mobile money democratizes banking across the country. Even people in poor communities can use the service to send and receive money. And there is no need to have a bank account. Anyone with an MTN phone number can use the service.
In this article, we showed you how to register for MTN MoMo. It was noted that this is one of the mobile money transfer services that are popular in South Africa. Mobile money itself has been growing in use around the country. It’s a good service because it allows people to get banking services without the needing to have bank accounts.